As we transition into 2022, it’s a great time to leave your bad habits in the past and move on to better and brighter routines. To help you kick start your year right, here are some tips and tricks for better skin-saving habits.
Better Makeup Habits for 2022
To keep your skin and makeup fresh, here are some simple and easy tips to add to your beauty routine:
- Replace your skincare products as they near their expiration date.
- Replace your makeup regularly as well. This will prevent bacteria growth and keep your complexion clear and healthy. Some powder products, like eyeshadows and blush, can be used after their official 2-year expiration date once opened, but if you see any oil buildup on the product, it is time to toss it and replace it.
- Use sunscreen every day. We strongly suggest using natural sunscreens with zinc oxide with SPF 30 or higher every morning and throughout the day.
- COLORFLO is the perfect sun protection as it is your foundation and your sunscreen. It eliminates the problem of how to apply sunscreen over your makeup. It really is all you need for coverage, and it is weightless on the skin, but if you are someone who feels the need to use a cream or liquid foundation, it is also the perfect product to layer on top throughout the day. It not only gives you that important sun protection, but makes the skin look smoother, silkier, and luminous.
- Sunscreen can help prevent aging lines on the skin and skin cancer, as well as keep your complexion brighter as it protects you from hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
- Set your eyeliner for all-day wear. To keep it from moving or fading throughout the day, immediately layer a similar colored eyeshadow over top.
- Clean your makeup brushes regularly. Your brushes build up oils and bacteria quickly from your makeup products and your skin. That’s why it’s so important to clean them regularly. You should sanitize your brushes after every use, and deep clean them with a mild shampoo or dishwashing liquid a few times a month.
- And yes, we know most of us get lazy when it comes to cleaning our brushes, but this is really one of the most important things you can do to help keep your skin clear. Those pesky breakouts on your cheeks are often due to an unclean brush! I can offer you an easy solution with our natural makeup brush cleaner to quickly and easily sanitize your brushes after each use. This brush cleaner is all natural, dries quickly, and smells heavenly.
- To sanitize your brushes, just spray a small amount on a paper towel and swoosh the brush around until no more color is coming off on the towel. With some makeup you may see color left on the brush, especially if the hair is light in color, but rest assured, your brush is clean and sanitized.
- To read more about the Susan Posnick Brusher cleaner and techniques for cleaning your brushes, read our article on how to clean your makeup brushes.
- Take off your makeup at night. This one is so important. Leaving makeup on your skin can clog your pores and can cause premature aging and collagen degradation, says Dr. Sue Ann Wee of the Schweiger Dermatology Group in NYC. It can also dry out your skin and irritate your eyes. We like to say that our COLORFLO foundation is so pure you can sleep in it because it lets the skin breathe, but (with the exception of those days when you are just too tired to remove your makeup) it is still best to take it off so you can apply your serums and creams at night, when they can work most effectively while you are at rest.
Susan Posnick is a True Beauty Expert
Susan spent 20+ years working as a celebrity makeup artist traveling the world on photo shoots, commercials, and films. In addition, Susan was Mary Kay's personal makeup artist for 18 years. When she was diagnosed with skin cancer and was highly reactive to chemical sunscreens, she shifted creative direction and began creating a natural, healthy sunscreen/foundation that could be carried with you for all-day application and protection. This first product COLORFLO, is the original compact, multi-purpose color cosmetic line, designed to de-clutter your makeup life and routine, using healthy products.
Susan is the recipient of an International Humanitarian Award for developing COLORFLO and Brush On Block and educating on the signs and treatment for all types of skin cancers.
Susan Posnick Cosmetics are clean and healthy and may be purchased worldwide in spas, apothecaries, salons, and specialty retail stores and on our online store.
Both Susan and her products have been featured in major publications and magazines; INSTYLE, Marie Claire, VOGUE, Allure, Real Simple, Lucky, and Town & Country.